Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Little Dreams Come True

My first week here in Nica, God showed me a way that he already has answered things I prayed when I was here before. During one of the days I was here in March, I went on a quick delivery run with the Amigos staff. We left the Villa, which is where visiting groups always go to work and play, and went to another village I had never seen before. There was a school there, and we delivered a bunch of donated backpacks to their students. The school was about the same size as the one in the Villa, but the kids were not nearly as vibrant as the others. They didn't run up to us to try to play like they do in the Villa. I remember praying that God would send Amigos there too, because these people were in a lot of need, but they did not have the American groups come to work and play among them much.

The first full day I came back this summer, we were told that the groups were mostly digging pipeline in a different place. Amigos had just finished drilling a well for another community, but needed to dig 6 miles of line to get the water to them. So, we went out in an old school bus full of 60 American high schoolers, parked on the side of some random highway, and started digging. At lunch, the staff walked us about a half mile down to where this community lived so we could meet them. We walked through the village and then came to the school, which looked a tad familiar. After staring at it for a few seconds, I realized that it was the same school I had helped deliver backpacks to, months before.

These kids who before had been tired and slightly suspicious now ran up to us to play. All this summer, the American groups go out twice a week to dig this line and get to go interact and play with the kids in the afternoon. They play field hockey, football, and jump-off-the-back-of-the-slide-and-have-a-gringo-catch-you. It is so cool to see that a little wish I had that a village could get love like the Villa has been realized so abundantly.

No comments: